The Assumption of Office of the President Committee held its first meeting on Friday, August 12 as the verification of presidential results continues at the Bomas of Kenya.
In a televised address, Head of Public Service, Joseph Kinyua noted that he chaired the inaugural meeting, adding that the committee will be making periodic updates of the process.
He also stated that the swearing in of the president-elect will be declared a public holiday.
“The committee’s core mandate is to facilitate a smooth transition from the current administration to the incoming administration
“Substantively, the mandate of the committee will be triggered once the IEBC formally announces the results of the 9th August 2022 Presidential Election and declares a President-Elect,” Kinyua said.
The Transition Committee mandated with the assumption of the office of the President-elect has said that it is ready to carry out its duty, only upon the announcement of the final results. pic.twitter.com/lsyjbKYi8A
— Nairobi News (@Nairobi_News) August 12, 2022
Kinyua was accompanied by among others Attorney General Paul Kihara, Chief of Defence Forces Robert Kibochi and Inspector General of Police Hilary Mutyambai.
Others were Interior Permanent Secretary Karanja Kibicho and Foreign Affairs Principal Secretary Macharia Kamau.
Functions of the Assumption of the Office of the President Committee
The functions of the committee are as follows.
- Facilitate the handing over process by the outgoing President to the President-elect
- Organise for the security of the President-elect
- Organise for the necessary facilities and personnel for the President-elect
- Co-ordinate the briefings of the President-elect by relevant public officers
- Facilitate communication between the outgoing President and the President-elect
- Prepare the programme and organise for the swearing-in ceremony
- Carry out any other activity necessary for the performance of its functions under this Act and perform any other function assigned to it under any other written law.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or call/SMS +254 731 469269