A single business permit is a legal requirement for any business in Nairobi to run its operations smoothly.
If you want to start a business in Nairobi or you already have one, business permit is a major requirement since it is a county law.
READ ALSO: How to replace lost KCPE, KCSE certificate
Nairobi experienced changes in the sector of Revenue collection after President Uhuru Kenyatta transferred some function from the Nairobi City County Government (NCCG) to Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS).
The changes installed the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) as the main agent for the collection of all Nairobi City County revenue.
Applying for a business permit
There are two methods that one can use while acquiring a business permit. A person can decide to apply online through the NCCG portal or physically by visiting the KRA offices at Times Tower, Nairobi.
How much will it cost you to get a business permit in Nairobi
Usually, the procedure to obtaining a permit is the same but difference comes with the costs, which varies with the size of the business i.e. the number of employees, the type of the business and the location the business will be situated at.
The approximate cost to obtain a Business Permit in Nairobi is as follows:
- Application fee Ksh 200
- Permit fee: for a small workshop of up to 5 employees -Ksh 15,000
You will require the below document:
- Copy of certificate of Incorporation / Business Registration Certificate
- Copy of company Pin certificate
- The physical address, land zone, and plot number
- National ID/ passport number
Online application/ renewal of a business permit in Nairobi
You will require a device that has stable internet connection, deposit money to you M-pesa,contact details and the business identification number
Having the above mentioned, you will have to:
- Log in or create an account on the Nairobi county self-service portal and proceed to the unified business permit
- Fill in your business identification number then enter the year you want to Apply / renew.
- The page will direct you to the check status page allowing you to view the status of the company and costs needed for the application / renewal.Here you will also be shown the exact Nairobi City County business permit rates in that particular business year.
- If it’s your first time, you will receive ” a wallet does not have any funds message” . Below the message, there is another tab for top-up, click it to continue to top-up.
- You will be then directed to the Nairobi county E-wallet and requested to add your phone number and the amount you are required to top up after that put your password and submit.
- You will be asked to choose a method of payment.
- Upon satisfaction with the given information, type your pin and submit the details.
- The system will prompt you with two links: to print your business permit and to print the receipt.
- Print the permit and then download it.
- The last thing you need to do is displaying the downloaded business permit at the premises as the law requires.
For those who would want apply physically;
You will be required to get an invoice from the Times Tower Ground Floor, Nairobi County Cash Offices at City Hall and at Makadara Cash Office.
You should make you payments through;
- Cooperative Bank of Kenya Nairobi City County – KRA Revenue Account – 011 417 094 100 00
- National Bank of Kenya Nairobi City County – KRA Revenue Account – 010 712 252 511 00
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com or call/SMS +254 731 469269