Three American citizens were killed and two others wounded in Sunday, January 5 al-Shabaab attack on Kenyan-US military base in Manda Bay in Lamu County.
An update from the US Africa command notes the deceased include one US Service member and two Department of Defence contractors. The injured are reported to be in stable condition are members of the Defence department.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of our teammates who lost their lives. As we honour their sacrifice, let us also harden our resolve.
Alongside our African and international partners, we will pursue those responsible for this attack and al-Shabaab who seeks to harm Americans and US interests,” said Commander of the US Africa Command, General Stephen Townsend, adding:
“We remain committed to preventing al-Shabaab from maintaining a safe haven to plan deadly attacks against the US homeland, East African and international partners,” he added.
The US Africa Command is responsible for US’s military relations with other nations and regional organizations in Africa.
The US Africa Command further noted that the militants gained entry into the military base compound but were repulsed by Kenya Defence Forces and US soldiers.
Six contractor-operated aircraft were damaged in the attack that involved indirect and small arms fire, the US Command details.
An updated statement issued on Sunday evening by KDF indicated five terrorists were killed during the attack and five other suspects have since been arrested and are helping with investigations.
“Following a military operation, 5 bodies of neutralised terrorists were recovered. Search for more is on-going. One PKM gun, 4 RPG launchers, 4 AK 47 rifles, 1 hand grenade and assorted ammunition were captured,” said KDF.
Al-Shabaab has so far taken responsibility of the attack.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org or call/SMS +254 731 469269