It’s a possibility they would not be household names if some of the Kenyan celebrities had decided to use their real names in music.
Just imagine this, a great piece of music fades away and Maureen Massawe’s voice comes live to inform the audience;
“Kibao ambacho tumetoka kucheza kinaitwa Such Kinda Love cha Jackson Obunga akimshirikisha mwimbaji Jovial”
Really? Jackson Obunga? That sounds like a name of a tall fisherman struggling to make a living on the shores of Lake Victoria. He he!
Thankfully that’s not the case and you won’t hear Jackson Obunga being mentioned regularly on radio as he is widely known by his artistic name Otile Brown.
Yeah, Otile Brown, the first artiste in Kenya to hit one million subscriber mark on You Tube.
Well, there’s also that rumour of one Vera Sidika carrying the name “Shikwekwe” for her surname.
On a fair scale, Shikwekwe sounds quite a mouthful for the sassy socialite that is Vera.
However, the truth is Vera Sidika’s real name is Vera Sidika Mung’asia, from Vihiga County.
What’s more, the fond names we call them are not only short and memorable but also hide the celebs from tribal cocoons.
Here are Kenyan celebrities with their real names;
1. Rabbit aka Kaka Sungura – Kennedy Ombima
2. Mejja- Major Nemeye Khadija
3. Otile Brown – Jackson Obunga
4. Nameless – David Mathenge
5. Kenrazy – Kenneth Aketch Oluoch Barnabas
6. Papa Jones aka Khaligraphy Jones – Brian Ouko
7. Jua Cali – Paul Julius Nunda
8. Captain Otoyo- Kazungu Matano
9. DJ Shitiani aka DJ Shiti- Steven Oduor Dede
10. Vera Sidika-Vera Sidika Mung’asia
11. Kenzo – Awoko Kennedy Omondi
12. Bamboo – Simon Kimani
13. Bon-Eye (P-Unit) – Boniface Chege
14. Amani – Cecilia Wairimu
15. Nicah Da Queen- Veronica Wanja
16. Shaniqwa- Kevin Mwangi
17. Pitson- Peterson Ngetha
18. DJ Joe Mfalme – Joseph Mwenda Munoru
19. Noti Flow – Natalie Florence Katuto
20. Nyashinski – Nyamari Ongegu
21. Ringtone – Alex Apoko
22. Wyre – Kevin Waire
23. Redsan – Swabri Mohammed
24. Miss Karun (Camp Mulla) – Karungari Mungai
25. Big Pin – Chrispin Mwangale
26. Xtatic – Gloria Edna Mecheo
27. Madtraxx – George Muigai
28. Nonini- Hubert Nakitare
29. Kidum – Nimbona Jean Pierre
30. Abbas – Andrew Kabiach
31. Mwafreeka – Makarios Ouma
32. Octopizzo – Henry Ochieng
33. DJ MO- Samwel Muraya
34. DK Kwenye Beat- David Kilonzo
35. Mbuusi- Daniel Githinji Mwangi
36. Juliani- Julius OwinoGabu- Gabriel Kagundu
37. Inspekta Mwala- Davis Hezron Mwabili
38. MC Jessy- Jasper Muthomi
39. Hope Kid- Simon Peter Wambua
40. Kawira- Joy Furaha
41. Jemutai- Stella Bunei Koitie
42. Mammito- Eunice Wanjiru Njoki
43. Dr.Ofweneke- Sande Bush
44. Prof. Hamo- Herman Gakobo Kago
45. Chipukeezy- Vincent Muasya
46. Smart Joker- Michael Akala Omuka
47. Stivo Simple Boy- Stephen Otieno
48. MC Tricky- Paul Kimani Njoroge
49. Jalang’o-Felix Odiwour
50. Almasi – Ian Munene
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com