Latest News

Evans Kidero: Ex-Nairobi governor weighs in on NMS leadership

Former Nairobi governor Evans Kidero has expressed his sad feelings to the Nairobi governor Mike Sonko as his county is now controlled by the Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) led by Director-General Mohamed Badi.

According to Kidero it was not necessary to create the NMS at the time the Urban Areas and Cities Act was binding

READ ALSO: Khalwale blasts Seme MP James Nyikal for crying in Parliament

“I feel sad that his mandate has been overtaken by Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS), which if you were to ask me, I don’t think if it was necessary.

Speaking at an interview he said that instead of putting the NMS into powers they should have fallen back on Urban areas and Cities Act to execute the functions

“So I don’t think it was necessary to get a body like NMS, they should have just fallen back on Urban areas and Cities Act to execute this functions that NMS is executing” said Dr. Evans Kidero.

Kidero further added that the NMS is given a large amount of money direct from the President’s office that how the Nairobi County received

“The amount of money Nairobi county is getting from the Revenue sharing formula is not sufficient, because 80% of it goes into paying salaries and the remaining 20% is not enough.

He further differentiated the difference between Nairobi County and the NMS and found that its only because they are funded from the office of President

“So the advantage that NMS has is that they are getting funded directly from the office of the President. And if this could have been done for Nairobi that the National government pays what they owe, because the National government owes Nairobi County over Sh80 billion, which if they pay, all the things will be executed. It’s just that NMS are getting more money, that’s why you see the difference,” noted Dr. Kidero.

Kidero was asked to rate governor Mike Sonko on a scale of 1-10 but he refused to do that stating his reasons

READ ALSO: Gitonga Mbaka: Education official insulted by CS Magoha breaks silence

“I won’t do that on a number of reasons. One is because he was voted overwhelming because in Nairobi he got many votes than the President himself, so it’s the people of Nairobi to rate him, because obviously Nairobians had expectations of what he needed to do for them, and it them to say if he has done that.”

Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through info@gotta.news or call/SMS +254 731 469269

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Most Popular

To Top