Select Page

Nairobi Metropolitan boss Maj Gen Badi dismisses claims of undermining Sonko

by | Apr 7, 2020 | Counties | 0 comments

Major General Mohamed Badi, Nairobi Metropolitan Services (NMS) boss has dismissed Governor Mike Sonko’s claims he is overstepping his mandate.

Badi spoke on the matter on Monday, April 6 at Uhuru Park during the issuance of letters of redeployment to all county workers who will be transferred to the NMS.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Senior govt official quotes Bible verses before arresting pastor (video)

On Saturday, April, 4, Sonko issued a statement saying the county workers were still under his jurisdiction despite the transfer of functions.

The Public Service Commission Chairman Stephen Kirogo through a notice on Friday, April 3 said the 6052 county staff should report on Monday, April 6 and Tuesday, April 7 from 8:00 am-4:00 pm for documentation and collection of letters of secondment at the Kenyatta International Convention Center.

He further went ahead to cancel the meeting which nonetheless proceeded on Monday.

“The public gathering called by the NMS, through the PSC, scheduled for Monday, April 6th and Tuesday, April 7th, 2020 is hereby CANCELLED until further notice. This is in line with the Presidential Directives issued to combat the spread of the Corona Virus,” said Sonko.

He went on slam the redeployment terming it “the height of impunity.”

Addressing Sonko’s claims, the NMS Director-General reiterated he is fully in charge of all the human resource and assets, including vehicles, that were in the Health, Transport, Public Works and Urban Planning dockets handed to him.

“Governor Mike Sonko personally signed the Deed of Transfer and handed over the four key functions to the National Government and I’m the one in charge of those functions now. I officially took them over on March 18, 2020 and on top of that, the Nairobi County Assembly had a Special Sitting where they approved the handover of those functions to me,” said Badi.

He added:

“I have over the personnel and even the assets including vehicles as well as the offices that had been assigned to these four departments which are now under my control.”

READ ALSO: Sonko out! Uhuru appoints 2-star KDF General to crush Nairobi’s stubborn cartels

Sonko claims the NMS is flouting some of the provisions of the Deed of Transfer by deliberately excluding him in all forms of communication.

“The Deed of Transfer that we signed is extremely clear on how communication should be conducted between the national government, the Nairobi City County government and the NMS… Worse, still, is the fact that most of this communication is done deliberately excluding me, in total contravention of the provisions of the Deed,” said Sonko.

 

Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected]gotta.news or call/SMS +254 731 469269

 

Like us on Facebook

This message is only visible to admins.
PPCA Error: Due to Facebook API changes on September 4, 2020, it will no longer be possible to display a feed from a Facebook Page you are not an admin of. The Facebook feed below is not using a valid Access Token for this Facebook page and so will stop updating after this date.

Other News