Two children from Mombasa who were begging for KSh 50,000 to secure their mother’s release have finally had their prayers answered.

A section of journalists led by Radio Maisha presenter Billy Miya joined hands and together they raised the needed amount to secure Pauline Atieno’s release.

READ ALSO: Mombasa: Children beg for KSh 50,000 to secure mother’s release learnt that in a 2 hours time, the journalists had managed to raise the amount to settle the fine.

Billy Miya then facilitated Atieno’s release on Monday afternoon, September 14.

Atieno who was detained at Shimo La Tewa Prison since July, 16 was finally released and united with her family.


The 26-year-old was received by her mother and her 10-year-old and 5-year-old sons.

Speaking after her release, Atieno said that after the one month imprisonment, she has learnt a lot and regreted her deeds.

She even confessed to contemplating suicide as she could not imagine the life her children were facing without her.

“I had made up my mind that if I had not been released, I would have killed myself to save my children from the stress of thinking about me while in prison,” she said.

“At 2 pm, I heard my name being called by a prison officer, informing me that journalists had paid my fine. I was so excited and I thank God for everyone who made this possible,” the mother of two said.

She also adviced her fellow women not to indulge into fights as it is not a solution to problems.

“I urge all women to avoid fighting and get alternative dispute resolutions. Peace is vital,she said.

Atieno was arrested and charged after getting into a rough and noisy fight with her neighbour.

According to reports, the mother of two got into a scrimmage with her neighbour following a conflict between their children.

The two residents of Jamvi La Wageni, Mombasa got into a fight and Atieno injured her neighbour’s hand leading to her arrest.

Atieno was arrested on July 16 and booked at Likoni Police Station.

READ ALSO: Chaos at Likoni ferry crossing as passengers oppose social distancing order

She was later on taken to Shimo La Tewa Maximum Prison.

Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through or call/SMS +254 731 469269