Memusi Sankok: David Sankok Risks Imprisonment Over Improper Storage of Firearm after Son's Death

Detectives are planning to charge nominated MP David Sankok over the demise of his 15-year-old son Hillary Memusi Sankok.

May 14, 2022, 11:16 AM for gotta.news
David Sankok and his late son Memusi Sankok
A collage of David Sankok and his late son Memusi Sankok. PHOTO: COURTESY.

The Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) detectives are planning to charge nominated MP David Sankok over the demise of his 15-year-old son Hillary Memusi Sankok.

According to the investigations, Memusi reportedly accessed his father's gun and shot himself dead on the afternoon of Monday, May 2.

Consequently, detectives said the outspoken lawmaker will be charged with improper storage of a firearm, immediately after his son’s burial.

According to the Firearms Act, a registered firearm dealer must maintain a suitable enclosed store for the safe custody of firearms and ammunition in his possession.

“Each store shall be, and be maintained constantly, secure to the satisfaction of the licensing officer, and shall have only one means of entry thereto, which shall be provided with two locks, of which master-keys shall be delivered to, and retained by, the licensing officer,” reads the law in part.

Those who fail to comply shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one year or to a fine not exceeding KSh 10,000 or both.

Memusi Sankok driving. PHOTO | COURTESY

The second autopsy carried out on Memusi's body revealed that he might have indeed killed himself.

The homicide detectives did not, however, rule out the possibility of having been shot.

The Chief Government Pathologist Johansen Oduor said the autopsy established that the bullet entered through the left side of his head just above the ear, and exited from the right side.

The 5mm calibre bullet shattered his skull before it exited. After the completion of the autopsy, the room where Memusi was found in a pool of blood (crime scene) has been opened to the family.

The detectives have also given the family a green light to bury the boy.

Memusi is expected to be laid to rest on Saturday in an event that will be attended by several leaders among them Deputy President William Ruto.

As previously reported, prior to the fatal incident, the deceased, who was a Form Two student and who was yet to return to school, had an altercation with his father over his return to school.

READ ALSO: Sankok’s Daughter Recalls Moment She Discovered Brother’s Body

The teenager was to return to school last week but he did not and this was the cause of his argument with his father that culminated in him taking his own life.

Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or call/SMS +254 731 469269


Related topics