The number of COVID-19 cases in Kenya has risen to 15 after eight more patients tested positive for the virus.

While giving a briefing at Harambee House, Health CS Mutahi Kagwe said the eight include five Kenyans, two French nationals and a Mexican.

Advertisements

Gotta.news has gathered the two French nationals aged 55 and 57, respectively who arrived in the country March 14, 2020 and had been staying in a hotel in Diani, Kwale County.

According to a police report seen by Gotta.news, the two fell ill and were rushed to hospital where they later tested positive for COVID-19 on Saturday, March 21.

They were scheduled to leave the country on March 21, 2020.

CS Kagwe said the two were somehow overwhelmed by the disease because of their advanced age would be flown to Nairobi.

Police are looking for the 363 people said to have got into contact with the eight.

READ ALSO: Even science needs God – Uhuru defends prayers in coronavirus fight

The CS announced that all international flights have been suspended from Wednesday, March 25 except cargo flights.

Also, the government has directed those coming in whether Kenyans or Foreigners will undergo a mandatory quarantine at their own expense.

“All persons who violate the self-quarantine requirement will be forcefully quarantined at their cost and thereafter arrested and charged. This will apply to a senior gov’t official in Kilifi who refused to self-quarantine,” said Kagwe.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Woman shares how she recovered from COVID-19

In the same vein, the CS said all persons violating self-quarantine will be forcefully quarantined and then charged.

This will apply to the Kilifi Deputy Governor who is currently in forced quarantine and will be charged in court.

Also, the CS directed all bars to remain closed effective at midnight, March 22.

 

Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through info@gotta.news or call/SMS +254 731 469269

 

Advertisements