Controversial gossip blogger Edgar Obare has been released.
The blogger was granted KSh100,000 bail with an option of KSh 300,000 bond after being charged with unlawfully publishing private and personal details.
Obare was arraigned at the Kiambu law court where he was charged with publishing private information from the passport of YouTuber Natalie Tewa.
“On diverse dates between July 9 and July 13, 2020 at an unknown place, within the Republic of Kenya, using your social media accounts, domain name www.bnn.ke and verified Instagram account @edgarobare, unlawfully disclosed to your online follower’s personal data to wit visa belonging to one Natalie Wanjiru Githinji without her consent,” the charge sheet read.
The blogger pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The case will be mentioned on August 21, while the hearing set for November 2.
Obare was further directed to refrain from talking about the case.
Obare was arrested on Thursday, July 30 by detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI).
Taking to Instagram, the controversial blogger said he was arrested at his home on Wednesday morning and escorted to Nairobi.
“As I said earlier I was summoned by the DCI. Today morning I was arrested by very many officers at my home. Now am headed to Nairobi. Thank you for your undying support,” Obare wrote on Instagram.
On Tuesday, July 28, Obare said he had been summoned by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) over a story involving YouTuber Natalie Tewa and Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho.
Through his Instagram page, Obare said he has been summoned to the DCI in the next few days to answer questions related to the story.
“So yesterday, I was informed I am being summoned to the DCI. I was kindly requested by an officer to appear at the DCI HQ without fail in the next few days.“I am told the purpose of this summon is to answer questions about Natalie Tewa,“ he wrote on his Instagram page.
Obare ran a story alleging that Natalie Tewa is in a romantic relationship with Joho and even accompanied him to the controversial Dubai trip alongside Suna East MP Junet Mohammed.
He later shared visa details that allegedly belonged to Natalie Tewa that contained her full government name and date of travel to Dubai eliciting mixed reactions on social media.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com or call/SMS +254 731 469269