The Kenyan government has banned international conferences involving more than 15 people from outside the country.
In a press briefing on Friday, March 6 Cabinet Secretary for Health, Mutahi Kagwe said that such meetings will not be allowed to take place for the next 30 days.
“If a conference involves people traveling from Europe, from the rest of the world, in the Middle East and so on, for a meeting of over 15 people, we have asked that it be postponed at least for the next 30 days,” he said.
He, however, maintained that other events in the country that do not involve people from outside will go on as planned.
He gave an example of the Beyond Zero marathon led by first lady Margaret Kenyatta happening this Sunday, March 8 among other events.
He advised Kenyans to avoid unnecessary trips to countries with high risk in meetings that will have more than 15 people.
The messages will entail how to protect oneself from the virus by regularly washing hands, avoiding close contact with people showing symptoms of the disease and proper handling of food.
The CS noted that all Level Four and Level Five hospitals will have isolation centers and also over 1100 health workers had been deployed across the country.
Kagwe further confirmed that all the 31 suspected cases in the country tested negative and cautioned Kenyans against spreading misinformation stating that anyone found culpable will face a fine or a jail term.
“We wish to notify the public that alarming messages are a criminal offense which may lead to arrest, prosecution and incarceration, so take caution,” he said.
The CS also urged Kenyans to treat Asian nationals with respect and kindness.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through firstname.lastname@example.org or call/SMS +254 731 469269