ODM leader Raila Odinga’s presidential bid has received a significant boost after a total of 30 political parties signed an agreement to join the Azimio la Umoja Coalition.
The outfits appended their signatures during the coalition’s national delegates’ conference held at Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC).
In the Saturday, March 12, event which was presided by President Uhuru Kenyatta and Raila, the over 300 delegates unanimously endorsed the former premier for president under Azimio.
Notably in attendance were Machakos Governor Alfred Mutua, Laikipia Governor Nderitu Mureithi, Kivutha Kibwana of Makueni, Wycliffe Oparanya heading Kakamega, Anyang Nyong’o of Kisumu among others.
Conspicuously missing was the Narc Kenya leader Martha Karua who is also deemed to have joined Azimio after signing a coalition deal through the One Kenya Alliance (OKA).
The parties that signed an agreement to pact with Azimio La Umoja include:
These are the parties that have joined Azimio;
1. Jubilee Party led by Uhuru
2. Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) led by Raila.
3. Wiper Party led by Kalonzo Musyoka
4. Kenya African National Union (KANU) led by Gideon Moi
5. National Rainbow Coalition led by Charity Ngilu
6. Democratic Action Party of Kenya (DAP-K) led by Wafula Wamunyinyi
7. Maendeleo Chap Chap led by Alfred Mutua
8. The Party of National Unity (PNU)
10. United Democratic Movement (UDM)
11. The Muungano Party (MP) led by Kibwana
12. Devolution Empowerment Party
13. Democratic Party (DP)
14. United Democratic Party
15. Kenya United Party (KUP)
16. Farmers Party
17. UPIA led by CS Ukur Yattani
18. Pamoja African Alliance (PAA)
19. Ubuntu Party led by Nakuru governor Lee Kinyanjui
20. National Reconstruction Alliance (NRA)
21. Kenya National Congress (KNC)
22. United Progressive Alliance
23. National Liberal Party
24. Kenya Social Congress
25. Movement for Democracy and Growth (MDG)
26. The People’s Trust Party
27. Kenya Reform Party
28. National Agenda Party of Kenya
29. Party of Growth and Prosperity
30. Chama Cha Uzalendo (CCU)
Raila will be making his fifth stab at the presidency in the August 9 poll.
He will be battling to succeed Uhuru with his arch political rival Deputy President William Ruto, George Wajackoyah, Reuben Kigame and Justin Muturi.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or call/SMS +254 731 469269