The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) has blacklisted 17 maize flour brands after they failed to meet quality standards.
The Standards body ordered the withdrawal of 17 maize flour brands from the market over high level of aflatoxins.
While conducting its mandate of Market Surveillance, Kebs has tested maize meal brands and has found some of them to contain levels of aflatoxins higher than the requirement of the relevant Kenya Standard making them unsafe for human consumption,” the letter signed by Director of Surveillance Peter Kaigwara read in part.
The brands are:
1. Dola by Eldoret Grain Millers
2. Tetema by Eldoret Grains Limited
3.African king by African Kings maize millers
4.Unique by Ndosha Limited
5. Mlo by Bidii Limited
6. City Corn Maize Meal by Central Afya Bora Maize Millers
7. Sarafina Maize Meal by Century Millers
8. Tosha Maize Meal by Godmesa Foods and Allied limited
9. Ahiba Maize Meal by Grango Suba Millers
10. Hakika Best by Halisi Maize Millers
11. Budget Maize Meal by Karibu Flour Mills
12. Wema Maize Meal by Luma Millers Limited
13. Jomba by Machakos Millers
14. Adardere Mupa by Mbaitu Maize Milling
15. Afya by Meru Multipurpose Cooperative Society
16. Uzima by Sigose Farm Company Limited
17. Sungura by Sungura Unga Millers
In November 2019, KEBS suspended five brands for failing to meet quality standards but later had a number of them reinstated in the market after the millers corrected the shortcoming.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through email@example.com or call/SMS +254 731 469269