national crackdown on Boda Boda operators has been stopped, Police say.
operation called by President Uhuru Kenyatta on March 8 is an effort aimed at
weeding out rogue operators after Forest Road accident that saw a Zimbabwean
diplomat stripped by a rowdy crowd comprising mainly of the riders.
National Police Service (NPS) said Saturday March 12 that the halting of the
operation aimed to allow for overhaul of the sector being conducted by the
multi-sectoral committee tasked with the exercise.
of compliance of traffic law by public transport motor cycles aka Boda boda
crackdown has been stopped,” NPS said Saturday.
is to give room to the government to reorganize the sector through a multi
sectoral committee working on a framework of implementation.”
however, warned that the Boda Boda operators are still prohibited from the
Central Business District.
“The ban on boda bodas operating within the
Nairobi CBD remains strictly in force. All boda boda operators and riders are
advised to comply with all requirements in due course,” NPS further stated.
ordering the national crackdown last week, President Uhuru warned that the government
would not relent until sanity was restored in the sector.
Do you have a story you would like us to publish? Please reach us through [email protected] or call/SMS +254 731 469269